Corentyne robbery…– key suspect arrestedBandits on Wednesday evening broke into a Corentyne home and carted off a quantity of gold jewelry, foreign and local currencies, and a licensed firearm.The incident took place at Lot 208 Mandir Street, Clifton Settlement Tain, Corentyne, Region Six (East Berbice/Corentyne).The intruders removed two sets of foreign currency totalling US $3,150 along withBhagwandin Mukhram$300,000 Guyana dollars. The jewelry stolen is valued at $900,000. No one was at home at the time of the incidentAccording to Bhagwandin Mukhram, also called ’40-11’, a mechanic, he and his wife left home at about 19:00h and returned four hours later when the discovery was made.The 63-year-old man said when he got home he went straight to the front door and opened the padlock.“After I open the padlock, I pull the door and noticed it bolt from inside. So I go around to the back and I see the bottom half of the door opened.”The man related that as he proceeded to enter the house, he stepped in six inches of water. He revealed that the pipes at two sinks were turned on and left running.“When I see that happen downstairs, my mind run straight on the firearm, and so I run upstairs; and when I go in the bedroom, the safe open and there is no firearm inside,” he related.It was a Remington semi-automatic shotgun which he had since 2003.According to Mukhram, entry to the building was gained by using an object to wrench open the door. This publication was shown marks on the door, indicating the way the intruders had gained entry.The Police were summoned, and as they commenced investigation, they went to the home of the suspect, situated three houses away and next to where Mukhram and his wife were being entertained by a neighbour.Initially, the investigators got no response when they went to the house, but after threatening to break the door, the lone occupant opened the door.The building was searched for items which were removed from Mukhram premises. Nothing was found, but a chisel and a hammer were removed from the house.The items match the marks left on Mukhram’s door.
MACGREGOR, Man. – RCMP in Manitoba have released the person they arrested in the homicide of a grandmother nearly 10 years ago.Spokeswoman Tara Seel said a 30-year-old woman taken into custody in MacGregor, Man., on Wednesday was released Thursday without charges.Seel says the investigation into Ward’s death is ongoing and anyone with information should contact the RCMP or Manitoba Crime Stoppers.Charlene Ward, who was 46 and from Portage la Prairie, was killed on Nov. 1, 2007.Ward had worked in a coffee shop, was divorced and had two grown daughters and five grandchildren.One of her daughters found Ward dead in her Portage home three weeks after she had been told by doctors she had beaten cancer.She had been stabbed three times in the neck.“I looked in her room and I (saw) her lying on the floor at the bottom of her bed. And when I looked up, there was blood all along her bed,” Britney Lake said in October 2010 when police made one of several pleas to the public for help.“She was clean and clear. She was just starting to live her life over,” said Cherie Lake, another of Ward’s daughters.Ward’s family believes she put up a fight because they saw bruises on her arms at the funeral home.